[Nut-upsuser] mge-utalk ESV8+ comm problem

Ivo Karabojkov karabojkov at kit.bg
Thu Oct 18 21:21:14 UTC 2012

Hi!

Sorry for being away for the last week and thank you all for your time
and patience!
Today I tried to collect newer log file than one attached in my first post.
I used the same HDD with no modifications of config or OS, on the same
computer with the same interface cable (original MGE, not hand-made).
The computer is real - not VM to avoid eventual malfunction caused by
virtual access to RS232 ports.
It was very odd that the connection to the UPS suddenly started working!
I am able to read status and perform tests including fsd with 100 % success!
Before my first try I had UPS repaired. The inverter transistors had to
be resoldered. This does not impact communication circuits, at least not
directly.
The difference today was that since I was away and the device was
freshly repaired I disconnected its acumulators to avoid eventual
damages. Maybe this "hard reset" helped to the UPS controller to start
comunicating normally? But it worked with Eaton's Windows software!
I'll test it for at least a week before attaching it to my production
system. Non-reasonal function or malfunction is really disturbing.
The unit is old but it is from this low-efficiency generation that
produces very good sine waveform and does not wear its electronic
components (ex. capaciotrs) It surely has lead in its soldering
compounds and is not CFC-free (during production). The large and
half-empty heavy metal enclosure is also important for unit's
reliability. In fact the only reason to throw it out would be it's
denial to work with NUT on one of my FreeBSD servers.

I would be very glad if I can help testing the driver (and if you still
willing to).
I have also access for testing to MGE Pulsar ES 11+ and an EL (i'll
clarify the exact model tomorrow).
Both are working without software support. I can test them with NUT.

Sorry for (maybe) false allarm.

Best wishes!
Ivo