[Nut-upsuser] Question marks in Broadcast Messages

Charles Lepple clepple at gmail.com
Wed Aug 28 23:07:58 UTC 2013

On Aug 28, 2013, at 6:05 PM, John Thurston wrote:

> I'm setting up a NUT server. During testing, I have deployed it on both CentOS and SUSE. I have both servers looking at two physical UPSs and two "dummy" UPSs.
>
> My NUT client is running on Solaris and is rigged to look at the "dummy" UPSs.
>
> As I toggle states on the dummy UPSs, the client correctly detects the changes and throws a message of the type:
>> Broadcast Message from ups (???) on nut Wed Aug 28 13:57:08...
>> UPS dummy at upsmon on line power
>
> The messages are of the same form regardless of the source server.
>
> What is the meaning of the (???) in that message? Is it a place holder for some value or attribute in the UPS driver I have not configured correct?

I think that part of the output is controlled by the 'wall' command. If you run 'wall' from a command line, does it display your current TTY? The current TTY isn't defined once a process daemonizes.

The wall output is optional, especially if you have your own NOTIFYCMD defined in upsmon.conf.

http://www.networkupstools.org/docs/man/upsmon.conf.html

--
Charles Lepple
clepple at gmail