[Nut-upsuser] Delayed UPS start up after shutdown?

Kris Jordan nut01.kj at sagebrushnetworks.com
Tue Dec 24 22:16:35 UTC 2013

Angel Tsankov wrote, On 12/24/2013 1:22 AM:
> On 12/06/2013 10:57 PM, Kris Jordan wrote:
> > [...]
>> (*) Some UPS's do provide extra options to determine when they will
>> restore power to load.
>
> That would be a nice feature.
>
> Anyway, it is a strange thing that I can set the waiting time for
> power to be restored if main power comes back before offdelay has
> elapsed, but the UPS ignores this setting if main power comes back
> after offdelay has elapsed. To me it seems intuitive to restore power
> only after ondelay has elapsed no matter if main power has come back
> before or after offdelay.

Depends a lot on the UPS's firmware. Cheap units tend to just turn on
instantly no matter what, and the better ones tend to follow your
directions. I still need to test the reboot functionality on my 5PX, but
if it's anything like the Evo850 (also MGE), it should behave. I'll let
you know.

> I can see that my UPS (MGE Protection Center 675) has a parameter
> ups.timer.start (currently holding the strange value of -10). Any idea
> if this could help and how this parameter can be changed?

in upsrw?

ups.timer.start --> Time before the load will be started (seconds).
Maybe it counts down after using load.on.delay?

Mine don't have the value in upsrw so it can't be set. The Eaton 5PX
(which is part MGE) I have here does have one return condition, to
return power only if the battery is charged to a certain percentage,
battery.charge.restart in upsrw.

The only UPS I've had so far that could also (always) wait a bit after
power return were APC Smart-UPS's.