[Nut-upsuser] Detect ups.status on battery seems a little delay

黃俊瑋 s932658 at mail.yzu.edu.tw
Thu Feb 21 01:45:30 UTC 2013

My default setting in upsmon.conf already have "POLLFREQ 5". (defalut value
in upsmon.conf)
And my original pollinterval is pollinterval=5.
I didn't run nut on VM when I report this issue.

I tried Oleg's solution to set pollinterval=0, it works. But I am afraid
any other side effect.

2013/2/21 Kris Jordan <nut.kj at sagebrushnetworks.com>

> Oleg Semyonov wrote, On 2/20/2013 12:39 AM:
>
>  UPS model: APC Smart-UPS 750 (051D/0002)
>>> But when UPS is offline, status will not change to OB immediately.
>>> After test many times. this delay time didn't have any rules. Maybe
>>>
>> immediately or few seconds or few minutes.
>>
>>> It will cause doing ONBATT action also delayed.
>>>
>> I asked exactly the same question on the 29th of January, and got nothing
>> in
>> reply.
>> It doesn't seem to be a bike shedding problem, so nobody bothered,
>> including
>> developers
>> (about using non-documented and probably non-supported option value).
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/**Parkinson's_law_of_triviality<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parkinson's_law_of_triviality>
>>
>> Short solution: set pollinterval=0 in driver configuration. It will report
>> OB/OL immediately
>> (but with a bit more CPU load).
>>
>> Full description: see my question here:
>> http://lists.alioth.debian.**org/pipermail/nut-upsuser/**
>> 2013-January/008195.html<http://lists.alioth.debian.org/pipermail/nut-upsuser/2013-January/008195.html>
>>

> Does the problem persist outside of a VM?
> *
> pollfreq*=/num/
>
>    Set polling frequency, in seconds, to reduce the USB data flow.
>    Between two polling requests, the driver will wait for interrupts
>    (aka UPS notifications), which are data changes returned by the UPS
>    by itself. This mechanism allow to avoid or reduce staleness
>    message, due to the UPS being temporarily overloaded with too much
>    polling requests. The default value is 30 (in seconds).
>
> Sounds like NUT supports interrupts with this driver.
>
> Pollfreq vs. pollinterval, I also wonder what is up with those two options.
>
> Is that a Microlink Smart-UPS? Perhaps one of its compatibility mode
> limitations are no interrupts.

Best regards,
Jyun-Wei Huang (黃俊瑋)