[Nut-upsuser] upsmon event log spam

Kris Jordan nut.kj at sagebrushnetworks.com
Mon Jan 21 00:28:47 UTC 2013

Windows 7 Pro x64
NUT 2.6.5-4

upsmon, when there is a problem, spams the event log every 5 seconds.
Poll interval is 5 seconds also.

I have witnessed the below messages filling up the event log.

upsmon - UPS [ups at localhost]: connect failed: Connection failure:
Unknown error.

upsmon - Poll UPS [ups at localhost] failed - Data stale.

I've already reported earlier how I've been spammed with invisible (at
least over RDP) message.exe processes. Ate all the system memory and
caused massive hard disk swapping, system would have been lost to me if
pskill didn't work. I've disabled 'WALL' in upsmon.conf to hopefully
prevent that occurring again.

There doesn't appear to be a way to stop the 'data stale' messages from
upsmon using NOTIFYFLAG. I also never see commbad/nocomm messages, just
'data stale' (UPS unplugged) then COMMOK when I plug the UPS back in.

There needs to be some kind of limiter in place for any kind of logging
or message.exe spawning.

Also, not seeing any popups from upsmon, nor message.exe's. Is that
because of my OS type?

Regards.