[Nut-upsuser] Support for APC Smart-UPS X 3000

Douglas Parsons doug at parsonsemail.com
Tue Sep 17 21:48:54 UTC 2013

Just my experiences speaking, look at another brand. I use MGE/Eaton and
have had much better life and the quality has been much better. APC does
not release the protocol for comunicating with the UPS and so to get NUT to
work you have to sniff the traffic and then figure out what the commands
and responses mean.(thus reverse engineered) APC also will change the
protocol between models. (Thus why that model is not listed, it may work,
it may not)

I have had four APC brand UPS units melt the batteries. We bought 13
identical units in one order. One blew up on power up. One had loose
connections giving a false ground issue. Four did not have all the holes
tapped out for mounting. And 6 were rusty. Those were the last APC units we
bought.

Eaton Evolution line is the old MGE brand and we have had great service
from them as well as working with NUT.

Just my $0.02 worth.

And for the record I do not work for Eaton or have any affiliation with NUT
other than a long time user.

Doug