[Nut-upsuser] Support for APC Smart-UPS X 3000

Ben Kamen bkamen at benjammin.net
Tue Sep 17 21:56:30 UTC 2013

On 2013-09-17 4:48 PM, Douglas Parsons wrote:
> Just my experiences speaking, look at another brand. I use MGE/Eaton and have had much better life and the quality has been much better. APC does not release the protocol for comunicating with the UPS and so to get NUT to work you have to sniff the traffic and then figure out what the commands and responses mean.(thus reverse engineered) APC also will change the protocol between models. (Thus why that model is not listed, it may work, it may not)
>
> I have had four APC brand UPS units melt the batteries. We bought 13 identical units in one order. One blew up on power up. One had loose connections giving a false ground issue. Four did not have all the holes tapped out for mounting. And 6 were rusty. Those were the last APC units we bought.

I am also frustrated with APC's designs that regularly roast batteries by pushing them to the edge of their max charge current by design.

I have too many APC units and am planning on phasing them out as I can.

  -Ben

--
Ben Kamen - O.D.T., S.P.
eMail: ben at benjammin.net                      http://www.benjammin.net