[Nut-upsuser] UPS compatibility list

Daniel O'Connor doconnor at gsoft.com.au
Thu Sep 19 05:24:14 UTC 2013

On 19/09/2013, at 5:44, Luke-Jr <luke at dashjr.org> wrote:
> On Wednesday, September 18, 2013 8:08:01 PM Paul O'Rorke wrote:
>> I'm looking at buying an Eaton EX 3000 - also with a good rating on the
>> compatibility list.  My main need is to shut down gracefully my Debian
>> servers.  Were you able to get that working? Could you do it at a
>> specific % remaining battery if you couldn't get the battery level?
>
> I didn't try; I don't trust automatic shutdown stuff in general.
> The only indication of battery level at all, is a "low battery" boolean.

That boolean is set when the battery charge drops below the battery.charge.low level.

Generally at work we set that to 50% to maximise the useful life of the batteries (we don't care about runtime past 5 minutes or so) and set battery.charge.restart to 50%.

We use FreeBSD though so the actual details of the shutdown are a bit different I believe.

are so many of them to choose from."
  -- Andrew Tanenbaum