[Nut-upsuser] UPS compatibility list

Mike. the.lists at mgm51.com
Fri Sep 20 14:54:42 UTC 2013

On 9/19/2013 at 10:49 PM Charles Lepple wrote:

|On Sep 19, 2013, at 12:11 PM, Paul O'Rorke wrote:
|
|> So where does this leave things regards Eaton and shut down?  Has
anyone
|managed graceful shut down from an Eaton unit with either of the
ushhid or
|bcmxcp drivers?
|
|Generally speaking, the UPS will signal when it reaches a low battery
|state, regardless of whether the UPS publishes runtime statistics,
battery
|percentages, or any other such values. The real difference between a
|"smart" and "dumb" UPS is not just the protocol, but how advanced the
|battery monitoring and charging circuitry is.
|
|[snip]
 =============

Maybe we need a semantic sync-up here.

When I think of "graceful shut down" from a UPS, I think of the
following sequence occurring reliably:

1) the UPS signals the NUT software that the battery is low

2) The NUT software tells the UPS to shutdown after some [hopefully,
configurable] number of seconds.

3) the NUT software shuts down the system(s) dependent upon tht UPS.
The number of seconds specified in (2) is dependent upon how long the
system(s) take to shut down.

4) the UPS then shuts down at the specified time.

>From what I've seen, step (2) is the stickler for many (most?) UPS's.
I'd like to see the ~shutdown after some [hopefully, configurable]
number of seconds~ capability noted on any compatibility list that is
generated.

My $0.02

Thanks!