[Nut-upsuser] UPS compatibility list

Kris Jordan nut01.kj at sagebrushnetworks.com
Fri Sep 20 23:10:02 UTC 2013

Charles Lepple wrote, On 9/19/2013 7:49 PM:
> On Sep 19, 2013, at 12:11 PM, Paul O'Rorke wrote:
>
>> So where does this leave things regards Eaton and shut down?  Has anyone managed graceful shut down from an Eaton unit with either of the ushhid or bcmxcp drivers?
> Generally speaking, the UPS will signal when it reaches a low battery state, regardless of whether the UPS publishes runtime statistics, battery percentages, or any other such values. The real difference between a "smart" and "dumb" UPS is not just the protocol, but how advanced the battery monitoring and charging circuitry is.
>
> I have an old MGE UPS that uses the usbhid-ups driver, and I have no problems shutting down the system via the LB signal in NUT. The non-Powerware-based Eaton units can be considered "descendants" of this hardware, from what I understand, and provide similar variables.

I was able to change battery.charge.low to 50 (*) on an Evolution 850. I
tested that the setting took, even if the UPS was rebooted. Because it's
powering Win2k3, I changed the offdelay to 600 and the ondelay to 615. I
then disabled the beeper. It all works, so I'm pretty happy with the
driver capability with this UPS. Driver: usbhid-ups.

(*) You don't have to neccessarily use a timeout script to keep from
draining the battery.