[Nut-upsuser] UPSMon question

Charles Lepple clepple at gmail.com
Wed Apr 9 02:04:40 UTC 2014

On Apr 8, 2014, at 5:01 PM, Richard Whittaker wrote:

> I have an APC1400RMXL with an SNMP card in it. It is set to do it's runtime calibration every 14 days, but I have noticed when it does this, my file server, which is supposed to shut down immediately in a power failure, as it's the largest load, will go into shutdown. Is there a way I can test for line voltage coming in to the UPS, and if it is "0", then use that to force a shutdown, rather than being on or off battery? Or is there some other configuration I can use that will accomplish the same thing.

Hi Richard,

Technically, NUT is looking for the combination of "On battery" and "Low battery" before it shuts down, so in your situation, I would be concerned that the UPS is sending a spurious low battery signal (or that NUT is misinterpreting the UPS status that way).

If you can schedule a maintenance window around the self-test time, I would recommend stopping the upsmon process (to prevent the system from shutting down), and restarting the snmp-ups driver in debug mode. You can also independently run snmpwalk or another SNMP monitoring tool, especially if you have an up-to-date copy of the APC MIB.

More specific advice will probably depend on the version of NUT, and the version of the firmware on the SNMP card. Also, are you using upssched or something similar to shut down the file server first?

--
Charles Lepple
clepple at gmail