[Nut-upsuser] Unable to set up a "serial-over-USB" UPS (APC BZ2200BI-BR)

Bruno Salvador bruno.salvador at gmail.com
Wed Jun 4 12:44:49 UTC 2014

Hello Charles and Douglas,

I really believe that BZ2200-BR model is the same as mine BZ1200-BR, with
different capacity.
If you see the BZ2200-BR specs you will notice the manufacturer
"APC-Microsol".

Those no-breaks have a USB port in it, but in fact it is a serial<->usb
cable, usually uses the port "/dev/cuaU0".
In mine, the serial<->usb chip is from FTDI, and its recognized by FreeNAS
with any additional drivers.
And for sure, you can never use the genuine APC driver with those Microsol
nobreaks.

What Douglas can do is to patch the solis executable in
/usr/local/libexec/nut/solis inside freenas, with the patches that I have
posted in the forum:
This will work for FreeNAS last version 9.2.1.5.

http://forums.freenas.org/index.php?threads/nobreak-bz1200-br-back-ups-rs-1200va-600w-bivolt-115-nt.20247/

*Instructions: *
1) Open the "*/usr/local/libexec/nut/solis*" executable in any hex editor
2) Search for the bytes 3D *A0* 00 00 00 75 8D 80 3D 77 11 21 00 FE 75 84
3) Change the "*A0*" to "*B0*"
4) Search for the bytes: *76* 29 BF A6 9C 40 00 E8 C7 F9 FF FF E9 15 FF FF
5) Change the "*76" *for* "EB"*
6) Save the file
7) Mount as write the Freenas filesystem using *mount -uw /*
8) Copy the cracked solis to* /usr/local/libexec/nut*
9) Mount the filesystem as readonly *mount -ur /*
10) Reboot.

As soon as I discover what are the configure settings that FreeNAS uses to
complile NUT, I'll create a original driver and send to NUT project to be
included on next versions.

Let me know if you need any more info.

BR
Bruno