[Nut-upsuser] I can't make changes to ups.delay.shutdown to stick

Charles Lepple clepple at gmail.com
Fri Jun 6 03:06:56 UTC 2014

On Jun 4, 2014, at 2:45 AM, Roger Price wrote:

> On Wed, 4 Jun 2014, Mick wrote:
>>> Some of the variables (those with HU_FLAG_ABSENT) are apparently not stored
>>> on the UPS itself-- they are sent to the UPS when the shutdown command is
>>> executed. Sending the value starts the timer, in some cases, but I think
>>> the ups.delay.start value should be safe to send at the time when it is
>>> set.
>>
>> I see.  So if for some reason I wanted to change ups.delay.shutdown on a more
>> permanent basis and the UPS won't store the changed setting, I would need to
>> run a script on the server to submit the changed value to the UPS each time
>> the server boots up.
>
> I had the same problem with an Eaton Ellipse ECO 1500. ups.delay.shutdown got lost at each power cycle.  I fixed it by setting
>
>     offdelay = 30
>     ondelay = 40
>
> in ups.conf.  This seems to me to be a better solution than writing a script.

Agreed, this seems to be the intended way to set the defaults.

Note that this is subtly different than using "default.ups.delay.shutdown" in ups.conf, because the "default.*" setting is to provide a value to upsc if the driver does not retrieve one from the UPS or its setting tables. The "default.*" values (and "override") do not go back "upstream" to the hardware, only downstream to clients of upsd.

> I'm guessing that if these two lines are omitted, no value is sent to the UPS unit.  Is this true?

the end effect is what you described, but the process is a little different:

On these UPSes, think of ups.delay.shutdown as a setting that is bundled with the shutdown command (and not sent to the hardware otherwise). The driver keeps a shadow copy that you can read with upsc, and can temporarily set with upsrw. The NUT variable "ups.delay.shutdown" gets initialized with the value of offdelay, which defaults to 20 seconds (see the output of "usbhid-ups -h").

--
Charles Lepple
clepple at gmail