[Nut-upsuser] Multiple servers connected to the same UPS

Philippe Andersson pan at iba-group.com
Mon Jun 23 09:20:14 UTC 2014

On 23/06/14 04:32, Stan Gammons wrote:
> Can one have a single UPS powering multiple servers and have them all
> shutdown in an orderly fashion pending a power loss?   It seems as
> though this is possible from what I gathered from the docs, but I've yet
> to make this work on an OpenBSD and FreeNAS machine that are powered
> from the same UPS. The master server that the UPS is connected to via
> USB receives messages from the UPS, but the slave doesn't receive any
> messages.  Any tips on how to make this work?
Yes, it is indeed possible. Here is a brief description of my typical
configuration:

- install NUT on all the participating servers

- the machine that is physically connected to the UPS (serial or USB)
becomes the "NUT server", all others are "NUT clients".

- the NUT server has the entire NUT stack (driver, upsd, upsmon, upssched)

- NUT clients only use upsmon, and "MONITOR" the UPS published by the
NUT server

- on the NUT server, use "upssched" to initiate a countdown timer on
"ONBATT" events

- if the countdown timer expires before the power returns, a custom
script is called that issues a "FSD" (forced shutdown) -- this message
is sent to all participating servers

- on each participating server, configure the shutdown command
(upsmon.conf) with a suitable grace period to take into account the
dependencies between servers (if any).

If you need more information, please mail me directly -- I can share the
configuration files and scripts I use.

HTH

Cheers. Bye.

Ph. A.