[Nut-upsuser] UPSD is not running

Charles Lepple clepple at gmail.com
Sun Mar 23 20:59:14 UTC 2014

On Mar 21, 2014, at 1:39 PM, Schauer, Peter wrote:

> I have a Dell 500w UPS and it works great with Ubuntu 12.04 LTS and Network UPS tools 2.6.3 via usb. This powers a standalone server for the purposes of clean shutdowns. This was installed using “sudo apt-get install nut” and there are no issues with the Server > nut > ups chain. I am using the usbhid-ups driver and haven’t had any issues.

Sounds good.

You mention that NUT was installed via apt-get. Just to confirm, has another version of NUT ever been installed on this box by hand (i.e. download and build from a source tarball)?

> I am trying to also add an NAS to the system as a slave, so that as soon as the server shuts down, the NAS will also shut down, but I can’t get NUT to listen to anything. As far as I understand, the method I should be using is to:
>
> 1.       Set MODE=netserver in /etc/nut/nut.conf
> 2.       Add the server’s IP address to LISTEN = [server ip] in /etc/nut/upsd.conf
> 3.       Then restart nut (sudo service nut restart).
>
> This does not work. If I use the command sudo upsd I get the following output:
> “Network UPS Tools upsd 2.6.3
> Not listening on [server ip]
> No listening interface available”
>
> If I use sudo service nut status I get the following output:
> “Checking status of Network UPS Tools
> ·         Upsd is not running
> ·         Upsmon is running”

What happens if you run 'sudo killall upsd' then 'sudo service nut restart'?

> If I check the output of the default port for the service sudo netstat –altp|grep :3493 I then get the following:
> Tcp 0  0 [server address]:3493 0.0.0.0:* LISTEN 26648/upsd
> Tcp 0  0 127.0.0.1:3493 0.0.0.0:* LISTEN 23679/upsd
> Tcp 0  0 127.0.0.1:41385 127.0.0.1:3493 ESTABLISHED 27947/upsmon
> Tcp 0  0 127.0.0.1:3493 127.0.0.1:41385 ESTABLISHED 23679/upsd
> Tcp6 0  0 ::1:3493 :::* LISTEN 23679/upsd
>
> Which seems to show that upsd is running and it is listening or already connected, presumably via the usb cable.
>
> So is this working as intended? Is it impossible to set up a server + UPS via usb and then have another device (in this case an NAS) listen as a slave to the server? From the documentation it seems like this should be possible.

It sounds like there is a slight disconnect in the Ubuntu startup scripts, since the netstat output shows that an instance of upsd is listening on port 3493 (which is sufficient for the NAS to monitor).

--
Charles Lepple
clepple at gmail