[Nut-upsuser] UPSD is not running

Schauer, Peter p.schauer at ucl.ac.uk
Mon Mar 24 12:51:47 UTC 2014

> On Mar 21, 2014, at 1:39 PM, Schauer, Peter wrote:
>
> You mention that NUT was installed via apt-get. Just to confirm, has another
> version of NUT ever been installed on this box by hand (i.e. download and
> build from a source tarball)?

No never - it's a very recent installation and nut has never been installed any other way.

> > If I use sudo service nut status I get the following output:
> > "Checking status of Network UPS Tools
> > *         Upsd is not running
> > *         Upsmon is running"
>
> What happens if you run 'sudo killall upsd' then 'sudo service nut restart'?

Very interesting - a couple things came from this:
1. This works - UPSD showed as up and running after this.
2. I made a syntax error in /etc/nut/upsd.conf. The server ip address should be LISTEN [ip address], *not* LISTEN=[ip address]. With "LISTEN =" upsd won't start. With LISTEN [ip] it starts and runs correctly. I got confused because in some config files the = is used, and in others it is not.

Additional steps that were required (in case people find this thread searching in the future):
- I had to add an additional line in upsd.conf for LISTEN 127.0.0.1, in addition to the external interface ip address, otherwise nut would not know that the ups is on usb, not the network interface. It is strange that I couldn't use LISTEN localhost here (properly defined in /etc/hosts).  It responds correctly to sudo upsc upsname at localhost so not sure why this doesn't work in upsd.conf. Not important, just curious.
- I also had to run sudo upsdrvctl start  to force the changes to be recognised. Stopping and starting the service is not enough.

After all this, it works, and both the usb and network devices are protected. Thanks for the assistance!