[Nut-upsuser] config file locations

Charles Lepple clepple at gmail.com
Wed Oct 22 13:08:38 UTC 2014

On Oct 21, 2014, at 11:37 PM, Gene Heskett <gheskett at wdtv.com> wrote:

> Hummm, that got me past that barricade, but then it needed asciidoc, which
> pulled in everything else it was fussing about. The everything else was
> close to all of tex and latex, something north of 220 megs worth.  Drive
> space I have, but thats a heck of big hunk of dependency.

You mean that LaTeX isn't on everyone's short list of must-have packages? ;-)

> However, the configure is still bailing out:
>
> checking for library containing gdImagePng... -lgd
> checking whether to build CGI programs... yes
> checking for asciidoc... /usr/bin/asciidoc
> checking for asciiDoc version... 8.5.2 found
> checking for a2x... /usr/bin/a2x
> checking for a2x version... 8.5.2 found
> checking for dblatex... /usr/bin/dblatex
> checking for dblatex version... 0.2.12-4 found
> checking if asciidoc version can build html-single... no
> checking if a2x version can build html-chunked... no
> checking if dblatex version can build pdf... yes
> configure: error: "Unable to build  html-single html-chunked
> documentation"
>
> which doesn't tell me what else I need.  Clues?

Agreed, we could do better with the error messages. In configure.ac, it is looking for asciidoc >= 8.6.3. Nothing immediately jumps out in my mind as to why, but there were a few early 8.6.x versions that had issues.

Asciidoc is a fairly light-weight install by itself (considering that the other doc dependencies are already installed), so doing a source install to /usr/local, even with the Ubuntu package installed to /usr, should not conflict (no PID files, etc.). I believe I have done that before to work around the aforementioned bugs: http://asciidoc.org/INSTALL.html#X1

Stepping back a bit, are you looking to do anything specific with building the documentation, or are you just looking for doc files that match your current version of NUT? (I really thought we distributed the generated PDF and HTML documentation alongside the formatted man pages in the nut-*.tar.gz, but I guess that is only in the .deb packages.)

If you are looking for 2.7.2 documentation, we have the PDFs posted on the main website: http://www.networkupstools.org/documentation.html (There is a patch in the works to automatically add the current version number to the PDF revision log.)

For the latest information, we have a similar page that is generated by Buildbot from the Git tree: http://new.networkupstools.org/documentation.html (also working out some issues with the version number at the footer of the HTML pages, but the date is correct.)

Of course, there are the Asciidoc text files as well in nut-2.7.2/docs/, which can be handy if you need to search for something specific with grep.

I'm not saying "don't bother to rebuild the documentation", but it is one of the dependencies that is unintentionally optimized for developers who need to make changes to the documentation, and see how the changes render.

--
Charles Lepple
clepple at gmail