[Nut-upsuser] I'm new to NUT in Windows, having problems with blazer_usb doing an UPS shutdown

Charles Lepple clepple at gmail.com
Fri Apr 3 22:59:20 UTC 2015

On Apr 3, 2015, at 1:54 PM, Humberto Möckel <hamberthm at gmail.com> wrote:

> I've successfully configured UPSMON to monitor the UPS status, and do the shutdown procedure by calling the SHUTDOWNCMD on a simple bat file I've made. This bat file is as follows:
>
> cd C:\Program Files (x86)\NUT\bin
> blazer_usb -a HAMUPS -k
> pause
>
> So this should send the shutdown command to the UPS and start the shutdown timer (I've not added the Windows shutdown part to the bat file yet). The problem is that BLAZER_USB sends the command "shutdown_stop" three times to the router and then reports a SHUTDOWN FAILED:
>
> Initiating UPS shutdown
> instcmd: command [shutdown.stop] failed
> instcmd: command [shutdown.stop] failed
> instcmd: command [shutdown.stop] failed
> Shutdown failed!

One caveat with running "<driver> -k" from a SHUTDOWNCMD is that the existing driver will probably still be running. I don't know how the Windows port of NUT handles exclusive access to USB devices, but it is possible that this is causing the failure.

> This problem has already been addressed and supposedly corrected in latest builds, as seen in here: http://t38832.monitoring-nut-development.monitoringtalk.info/problems-with-blazer-usb-driver-will-not-shut-down-myups-t38832.html
>
> So, how can I solve this? Is there a way to tell BLAZER_USB to only send the command "SHUTDOWN.RETURN"?

Rather than calling the driver with "-k", you can leave upsd and the driver running, and call "upscmd -u user -p pass HAMUPS shutdown.return". You may want to test this with the computer powered from another source, since this might not have a delay before the power is removed.

> How can I get or build the latest version of BLAZER_USB for the windows port?

I seem to recall that NUT for Windows was built with mingw before. If you can get that set up, we could probably help backport the changes, but note that the blazer* driver is no longer actively maintained (replaced by nutdrv_qx, which I do not believe was ever ported to Windows).

--
Charles Lepple
clepple at gmail