[Nut-upsuser] I'm new to NUT in Windows, having problems with blazer_usb doing an UPS shutdown

Humberto Möckel hamberthm at gmail.com
Fri Apr 3 17:54:33 UTC 2015

Hello! I'm a total noob in the NUT world, and have 0 experience dealing
with Linux distributions. Since NUT is poorly ported to Windows it's
driving me crazy, I hope you can help me.

I have, after 3 days of painful reading, testing and failing, successfully
set up NUT to communicate with my cheap-ass line-interactive 1000VA Chinese
UPS (just no brand at all, it is a locally rebranded UPS, i'm from
Argentina). Its a basic setup of an UPS powering a desktop PC which needs
to be shut down in case of a power failure, and I would like the UPS to
power off as well the preserve battery life as much as possible (via
shutdown.return).

My set up uses the blazer_usb driver and the Megatec protocol. I'm using
latest NUT port for Windows; 2.6.5-3.

I've successfully configured UPSMON to monitor the UPS status, and do the
shutdown procedure by calling the SHUTDOWNCMD on a simple bat file I've
made. This bat file is as follows:

cd C:\Program Files (x86)\NUT\bin
blazer_usb -a HAMUPS -k
pause

So this should send the shutdown command to the UPS and start the shutdown
timer (I've not added the Windows shutdown part to the bat file yet). The
problem is that BLAZER_USB sends the command "shutdown_stop" three times to
the router and then reports a SHUTDOWN FAILED:

Initiating UPS shutdown
instcmd: command [shutdown.stop] failed
instcmd: command [shutdown.stop] failed
instcmd: command [shutdown.stop] failed
Shutdown failed!

This problem has already been addressed and supposedly corrected in latest
builds, as seen in here:
http://t38832.monitoring-nut-development.monitoringtalk.info/problems-with-blazer-usb-driver-will-not-shut-down-myups-t38832.html

So, how can I solve this? Is there a way to tell BLAZER_USB to only send
the command "SHUTDOWN.RETURN"? How can I get or build the latest version of
BLAZER_USB for the windows port?

Thank you so much!!