[Nut-upsuser] SSL only working in DEBUG mode

Melkor Lord melkor.lord at gmail.com
Tue Apr 7 13:26:45 UTC 2015

On Sat, Apr 4, 2015 at 6:33 PM, Emilien Kia <kiae.dev at gmail.com> wrote:

> Fixed in PR #199 https://github.com/networkupstools/nut/pull/199
> Tests are welcome.

Hero of the day! Thank you very much for your investigation and nice fix! I
compiled NUT from the official Ubuntu 14.04 package (2.7.1-1ubuntu1) by
adding a patch of your modifications. Indeed the patch is trivial in itself
but the result is a nasty bug being fixed :)

So, once the new patch deployed and just uncommenting SSL related settings
in upsd.conf and upsmon.conf this is what I get :

In the NUT server logs after restarting nut-server, waiting few seconds and
starting nut-client:
upsmon[4011]: Startup successful
upsd[3872]: SSL handshake done successfully with client 127.0.0.1
upsd[3872]: User upsmaster at 127.0.0.1 logged into UPS [APC] (SSL)

upsmon.conf uses CERTPATH /path/to/certs_dir, CERTVERIFY 0 and FORCESSL 1

I also tried with CERTIDENT and CERTHOST and no trouble whatsoever.

Now trying to connect from another host :
Shell# upsc APC at nutserver
Init SSL without certificate database
Connecting in SSL to 'nutserver' (no certificate name specified)
Do not intend to authenticate server nutserver
SSL handshake done successfully with server nutserver
Connected to nutserver in SSL
Certificate verification is disabled
[... attributes list with values ...]

I have one word for you: Congratulations!

Thank you very much again for your time and efforts.

--
Unix _IS_ user friendly, it's just selective about who its friends are.