[Nut-upsuser] Server not shutting down before power loss

Charles Lepple clepple at gmail.com
Tue Dec 29 13:23:08 UTC 2015

On Dec 29, 2015, at 6:33 AM, Jonah Naylor <jonahnaylor at gmail.com> wrote:

> HI thanks for replying and helping.
>
> I've now ran the UPS down a few times from full charge to test and I don't think it's the batteries or a problem with the UPS itself. I can watch it go from 100% right down to 1% over 20 minutes etc and then the power gets so low that everything just powers off!

When it does that, do you see the current status ("ups.status" line in upsc output) go from "OL" (online) to "OB" (on battery) to "OB LB"  (on battery/low battery)?

> I think it's down to Nut not actually shutting down my server that is my problem... The battery on the UPS seems to hold plenty long enough from a full charge, giving lots of time for a shutdown. How can I get the shutdown to occur early, say when the battery is 50% to play it safe

You didn't mention the output of upsrw (which has a few settings for controlling when "LB" is set), but you can also synthesize the low battery event:

http://www.networkupstools.org/docs/man/ups.conf.html#_ups_fields and search for "ignorelb"

> and just test and make sure that nut is even sending a command to shutdown and why it isn't happening?

For your particular situation of one UPS and one master system, this should shut the system down without waiting for the "OB LB" status:

http://www.networkupstools.org/docs/man/upsmon.html#_forced_shutdowns

> You'll have to excuse me as I've not used nut before, but I'm sure it's an Ubuntu or nut config problem here and that the shutdown sequence isn't happening and not my UPS...

Any other details you can provide on the configuration will make it easier to isolate the problem.

--
Charles Lepple
clepple at gmail