[Nut-upsuser] R: NUT and relay on USB

Charles Lepple clepple at gmail.com
Wed Jan 21 00:09:58 UTC 2015

On Jan 20, 2015, at 9:32 AM, Maurizio Iacaruso <maurizio.iacaruso at gmail.com> wrote:

> Setup that I was on mind is a little different, but I think your setup works well.
> In my setup the HUB is connected directly to the UPS, then the cables go to raspberry and device.
> In your setup the HUB is connected directly to the raspberry, then the cables go to UPS and Device.

well, actually, I was describing a scenario with three standard A->B cables. In my mind, the presence of an A-to-A cable indicates a problem in the design :-)

Wait, are you just trying to use the UPS for 5VDC power over USB for the other device?

The diagram I drew shows how to connect the UPS to the RPi for monitoring, through the hub. Other configurations are possible if you don't need to monitor the UPS.

> It’s Ok?
>
> In both configurations I need the same things: Male B->female A adaptor, HUB  and 2 male A-> male A cables.
> The male A- male A cables have any peculiarity? Can I buy it or make it myself without problems?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USB#Cable_plugs_.28USB_1.x.2F2.0.29

The "non-standard" designation for the A-to-A cable means that it can't be used for normal USB communications, but it might work for supplying 5VDC.

> Thanks a lot for advice.

Charles Lepple