[Nut-upsuser] ups does not reboot itself

dmanye dmanye at urv.cat
Fri Jul 17 13:42:09 UTC 2015

El 16/07/15 a les 14:16, Charles Lepple ha escrit:
> On Jul 16, 2015, at 5:09 AM, dmanye <dmanye at urv.cat> wrote:
>
>> surprisingly, now both computers made the ups reboot !?!?!?!? so i've tried once more and confirmed that while forcing the reboot works, the computer itself does not reboot the ups when the battery is too low.
> I think you figured it out: the UPS probably has another low-battery threshold, below which it will not start back up until it charges some more. If the UPS shuts down at 10%, and the power comes back briefly, there would be a period of time where the computer is powered, but NUT hasn't started.
>
> Usually, this is shown as the "battery.charge.restart" variable, but  I have a feeling that this is one of the APC Smart-UPS models that has a lot more settings available via other protocols.
>
> Here is some more background info:
>
> http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.monitoring.nut.devel/6749
>
> What does 'lsusb -d 051d: -vvv' return?

now i get it working although i really understand nothing.

while the commands '/sbin/upsdrvctl shutdown' and 'lib/nut/usbhid-ups -a
<name-of-ups> -k' make the ups to force a reboot on the computer, the
command 'upsmon -c fsd' fails and the ups does not reboot the output
outlets.

i also tried to, once upsmon is running, set the powerdown flag with its
magic string and then issue the 'upsmon -c fsd'. fail. one of the last
messages of the computer before powering off is something like the power
down flag is not set.

then i reinstalled the computer to get a fresh install (it's easy
because i'm using netinstall+preseed). test again and failed again.

so i reinstalled again... but instead of using four separate partitions
for /, /usr, /var and /tmp, put all the stuff under an unique /
partition and... it works! why exactly? no idea, because if i'm not
wrong, nut sensitive stuff is under /lib, /sbin, /etc...

works? yes BUT... i put in /etc/default/halt HALT=halt (by default it
contains HALT=poweroff) so that the last messages remain on screen to
look for possible error messages and it stopped working. if i put
HALT=poweroff again, the ups is rebooted.

so, does anybody know why having separate partitions conditions nut
behaviour? and why /etc/default/halt has also effect on why nut does
with the ups?

thanks.