[Nut-upsuser] Are UPS shutdown commands automatically sent?

Rob Groner rgroner at RTD.com
Wed May 27 18:19:34 UTC 2015

Roger,

The UPS I'm connected to is one we're actually developing, and I've authored the firmware for it.  I have a serial connection to it so I can output messages of interest, and one of those is when the UPS detects that the user has requested the delayed shutdown and restart.  So far, every time I've done the upsdrvctl shutdown, I've seen both requests on the screen.  But this last time, I only got the request for the delayed shutdown.

It is certainly possible I'm doing something wrong in the firmware itself.  If it really is just one USB Set Report being sent to the UPS, then that would be almost impossible that just the delayed shutdown got through.

I haven't seen it again since then.  I'll try some more times and see if I can find something repeatable about it.

Sincerely,
Robert G. Groner
Software Engineer

RTD Embedded Technologies, Inc.
ISO 9001 and AS9100 Certified
Ph: 814-234-8087
www.rtd.com

-----Original Message-----
From: Nut-upsuser [mailto:nut-upsuser-bounces+rgroner=rtd.com at lists.alioth.debian.org] On Behalf Of Roger Price
Sent: Wednesday, May 27, 2015 1:37 PM
To: nut-upsuser Mailing List
Subject: Re: [Nut-upsuser] Are UPS shutdown commands automatically sent?

On Wed, 27 May 2015, Rob Groner wrote:

> I have noticed, however, that the command to the UPS to do the delayed
> shutdown comes RIGHT as openSUSE is shutting down. While that is a
> good thing as far as timing and the potential race is concerned, I
> have seen it once where the UPS received the command to do the delayed
> shutdown, but *not* the command to do the delayed restart.

Hello Robert, This is surprizing.  To the best of my knowledge the delayed-shutdown and the delayed-restart commands to the UPS are one single command. What is the symptom that the UPS has not received "delayed-restart"?

Is it that the UPS does not restart?  This could be due to something else.

Best Regards, Roger