[Nut-upsuser] APC Back-UPS ES 650 connected to a Synology DS411slim

Charles Lepple clepple at gmail.com
Wed Oct 14 02:58:37 UTC 2015

[please use reply-all to include the list.]

> On Oct 12, 2015, at 4:52 PM, Daniel Green <ddgreen at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> I recently connected my UPS to my NAS. The NAS detected the UPS, and I checked the "Enable network UPS server" option and added relevant IPs to the "Permitted DiskStation devices" option. The NAS is running DSM 5.2-5592 Update 4, with a NUT version of SDS5-2-2015Q1branch-5579-15061.

Hmm, that "NUT version" seems to be an internal Git ID for Synology, not an actual NUT version number. Do they post their source code publicly? (It's probably at least NUT 2.7.2, but it would be handy to know what other changes were included, in case some of our standard assumptions no longer hold true.)

> I then attempted to connect my desktop via SNMP. My desktop is running Arch Linux, with a NUT version of 2.7.3. I seem to be able to connect to the NAS, but snmp-ups errors out with the following message:
>
> No matching MIB found for sysOID '.1.3.6.1.4.1.8072.3.2.10'!
> Please report it to NUT developers, with an 'upsc' output for your device.
> Going back to the classic MIB detection method.
> No supported device detected

Do you specifically need SNMP support, or can you use the NUT protocol for monitoring the UPS on the NAS?

Hopefully, the Synology firmware also has options that correspond to the upsd.users file in NUT, which would allow upsmon on your desktop box to log in directly to the NUT upsd process on the NAS.

It would be possible to extend snmp-ups to talk to the NAS, but that would add an extra upsd and snmp-ups driver process on your desktop, and I'm not sure what benefits that would have over connecting directly using the NUT protocol.

> Using the exact same configuration options, I can successfully connect from Windows XP using WinNUT 2.0.0.4.

WinNUT, to the best of my knowledge, only uses the NUT network protocol.

--
Charles Lepple
clepple at gmail