[Nut-upsuser] Assistance with understanding how to setup NUT for our small server room

Charles Lepple clepple at gmail.com
Sat Oct 17 12:30:46 UTC 2015

[please use reply-all to include the list. thanks!]

On Oct 16, 2015, at 12:47 PM, Charles Mccrea <charlesmccrea at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> We have a small server room for our various Proxmox Host Servers, UTM system and managed switches.   I've recently discovered NUT and would like to use it to monitor our UPS boxes using Raspberry Pi's.  I have a few questions regarding the setup and I'm hoping this community can point me in the right direction.
>
> I'll be installing the latest version of NUT on each Raspberry Pi's (running either Debian or Raspbian).
>
> Should I use one Raspberry Pi per UPS or can a Raspberry Pi monitor more than one UPS at a time.
This depends on whether each UPS has a unique identifier. Many inexpensive UPS models do not have a serial number that can be retrieved over USB, so the drivers can only attach to the first one they find. (The version of libusb that NUT uses does not have an API for selecting an UPS based on which port it is plugged into.)

You can check for a serial number by running "lsusb -vvv" as root, and then verifying that the string next to "iSerial" is unique. Or, you can check for your UPS in our collection of user-submitted data dumps: http://buildbot.networkupstools.org/~buildbot/cayman/docs/latest/ddl/#_supported_devices <http://buildbot.networkupstools.org/~buildbot/cayman/docs/latest/ddl/#_supported_devices>For each Raspberry Pi, is there a webpage I can serve up to view the status of that battery backup?
https://packages.debian.org/jessie/nut-cgi <https://packages.debian.org/jessie/nut-cgi> contains a CGI script that can be templated.
> I have 11 battery backups to monitor in our server room.  Is there a dashboard or a way to view all battery backups from one location or even better a webpage?
It's been a while since I configured the NUT CGI scripts, but I am fairly certain that you can monitor many UPSes from one page.
> If a central location can't be served up then I am planning on using Zabbix in our server room.  Would Zabbix be able to receive the details from each Raspberry Pi NUT server for this dashboard?

This came up with a quick Google search for "zabbix nut": https://www.zabbix.org/wiki/Zabbix_Templates#Power_.28UPS.29 <https://www.zabbix.org/wiki/Zabbix_Templates#Power_.28UPS.29>

Zabbix hasn't been discussed much on the NUT lists, but if that works, please let us know.

Another easy-to-setup monitoring system compatible with NUT is collectd: https://collectd.org/wiki/index.php/Plugin:NUT <https://collectd.org/wiki/index.php/Plugin:NUT>

--
Charles Lepple
clepple at gmail