[Nut-upsuser] Problem installing NUT on 16.04

Charles Lepple clepple at gmail.com
Sat Dec 3 17:46:59 UTC 2016

> On Dec 3, 2016, at 12:31 PM, Jack McGee <jack at greendesk.net> wrote:
>> so this is progress. Thanks!  Anything else to check to know it is working as it should?

http://networkupstools.org/docs/user-manual.chunked/ar01s06.html#Testing_shutdowns

The "FSD" test is more for the NUT logic, which isn't too complicated with only one UPS and one server. If you want to pull power to the UPS, you probably want to interrupt just the hot line, with something like a circuit breaker or power strip switch.

If you don't mind sending the full output of "upsc" and "upsrw", we can update the DDL page (it only has "upsc" output for an older version of NUT). This UPS provides some sort of serial number (doesn't match the label) in the device.model (and mirrored at ups.model) variables, so if you want to mask off a few digits from the end, that's fine. (CyberPower seems to have swapped the model name and serial number strings in the USB descriptor.)

>> My next step will be to point NUT client on another machine to this one. They are both plugged into this UPS.

You will need to adjust upsd.conf for this. If you only have one network interface, you can change "LISTEN 127.0.0.1 3493" to "LISTEN 0.0.0.0 3493". Otherwise, you can use the IP address of the *server* to bind to just that network interface (to help prevent outside systems from accessing NUT).

More complicated access control situations (only allow a few hosts from a subnet, for instance) can be handled with TCP-wrappers (/etc/hosts.allow and /etc/hosts.deny) or with kernel firewall rules.

> Maybe still a problem:
>
> mythuser at amethi:/etc/nut$ sudo upsc CyberUPS1 at localhost ups.status
> [sudo] password for mythuser:
> Init SSL without certificate database
> OL
>
> But if I read this
> https://askubuntu.com/questions/468632/nut-ups-and-ssl-certificates#565740
> correctly, it is just a warning?
> But shouldn't I see a status?

"Init SSL without certificate database" is a warning. The status is "OL" on the next line. (That was the reason for the "2>/dev/null" in an earlier post.)

If you just run "upsc CyberUPS1", then it prints the variable names and values, but if you add a variable name like "ups.status" to the command line, it doesn't print the name as well. (The latter option is to avoid having to carve up the results with awk, as was done in the askubuntu.com post.)