[Nut-upsuser] Can't get NUT slave to connect to master

Roger Price roger at rogerprice.org
Thu Nov 24 22:40:38 UTC 2016

On Thu, 24 Nov 2016, Jonah Naylor wrote:

> I installed Nut via apt-get, not from source (which I'd rather stick
> with if possible just for ease of security updates etc) - so I'm not too
> sure if TCP wrappers are there or available...
>
> This could be the problem, am I still able to add the wrappers in with prebuilt packages?

Could you apt-get the source and look for the .spec file if your
distribution has one.  The openSUSE distribution nut.spec file contains

%configure \
 	--disable-static \
 	--with-pic \
 	--sysconfdir=%{CONFPATH} \
 	--datadir=%{_datadir}/nut \
 	--with-all \
 	--without-doc \
 	--with-ssl \
 	--with-openssl \
 	--without-nss \
 	--with-wrap \ ...

which shows that TCP Wrappers are included.

I have the following declaration in the master's hosts.allow. (I have no
hosts.deny file)

  upsd : localhost, LOCAL, 127.0.0.1,    [::1]               : ALLOW
  upsd : ALL :  spawn (/bin/mail -r hosts.allow at localhost\
                       -s '%s@%h (mybox) refused access to %d from %c'\
                       roger at localhost) &                    : DENY

  # And now the denials which previously appeared in /etc/hosts.deny
  ALL :  ALL                                                 : DENY

You may need to add the IP address of your slave.

Roger