[Nut-upsuser] Tripp-Lite BCPERS450 shutdown/restart problems

Charles Lepple clepple at gmail.com
Tue Dec 19 00:26:56 UTC 2017

[please use reply-all to post to the list - the mailing list does not add a reply-to header. thanks!]

On Dec 18, 2017, at 11:37 AM, Ken Olum wrote:

> I have a Tripp-Lite BCPERS450, connected to a system running Ubuntu
> 16.04.3 LTS and NUT 2.7.2-4ubuntu1.2.  I had to make my own
> /lib/systemd/system-shutdown/nutshutdown, but now everything is working
> except for powering on and off the UPS.  Regardless of the settings of
> offdelay and ondelay in upsconf, and regardless of whether the AC power
> is on, when I say "upsdrvctl shutdown" the UPS turns off the power to
> the system instantly and turns it back on in ten seconds.

Thanks for the specific version info and detailed logs.

This may sound like an apples-to-oranges comparison, but we did uncover an issue with CyberPower UPSes where the delay values needed to be greater than or equal to 60 (seconds), since they were being rounded down to integer numbers of minutes internally:

https://github.com/networkupstools/nut/issues/432

What was the largest delay you tried?

> ups.timer.reboot: 65535
> ups.timer.shutdown: 65535

I can't test this on either one of my Tripp-Lite units (one is too old, and the other has the ill-fated 3016 protocol USB controller that can't stay on the bus long enough to do anything useful), but I seem to remember that these values should change to e.g. -60 if you set the delay to 60, and then they should begin counting down after the shutdown command is sent. It has been a while since I messed with that code, though.

What log messages do you get with "/lib/nut/usbhid-ups -DD -a bcpers450 -k"? (NOTE this will also tell the UPS to shut down immediately - it's the command that upsdrvctl runs, but with more debugging.)

For future reference, was this UPS manufactured recently? The NUT source code mentions that the TLCustom prefix is 0xffff0010, but the HID descriptor dump shows a few items under "UPS.ffff0015". Hopefully the delays haven't been moved to those values, since we don't have good information on the corresponding names.

Also, it may be worthwhile to reach out to Tripp Lite support. A few years ago, the NUT project got a large spreadsheet of testing results (mostly upsc output, rather than full end-to-end) from connecting many of their their USB UPS models to NUT from one of their sales offices. Interestingly, the following models have the same USB product ID as your UPS, and the Smart1000LCD was on that list:

 * http://networkupstools.org/ddl/Tripp_Lite/AVR900U.html
 * http://networkupstools.org/ddl/Tripp_Lite/G1010USB.html
 * http://networkupstools.org/ddl/Tripp_Lite/SMART1000LCD.html