[Nut-upsuser] Help with Elite 800VA usb UPS

Charles Lepple clepple at gmail.com
Tue Jun 27 14:04:23 UTC 2017

On Jun 27, 2017, at 9:23 AM, Andrea de Lutti <adelutti at gmail.com> wrote:

> Sorry, I didn't received it...

You should be subscribed to the list now.

> I don't have any REPLBATT message

Right, you would only get REPLBATT messages when the UPS reports that the battery *needs to be replaced* (and then at regular intervals per the upsmon.conf parameters).

> , but when in battery test I have OL CAL status: it would be good to have the result.

"OL CAL" or "OB CAL"? If the UPS is powering the load from the battery during calibration, it should report "OB CAL". The ONBATT handler in NOTIFYCMD can check for CAL at that point.

I don't think we considered the case where CAL is paired with OL.

> Anyway I still not receive any email on any test (power cord disconnected and/or reconnected for example)

Oh, I misinterpreted "working script" as a script that was sending email, rather than work-in-progress. Does that same command work from the command line? Can you add something like "logger" before the mailx line to be sure that the script is executing properly? Be sure to "chmod a+x" the script.

I forget if I mentioned this earlier, but for testing notifications, you can use the dummy-ups driver:

   http://networkupstools.org/docs/man/dummy-ups.html

The timer example will simulate the OL-OB-LB transition.

> Does the runtime calibration test alter the values of ups.conf? Or do I have to change it manually? Which would be the right procedure for changing the battery for calibrating NUT (over the manufacturer's suggestions)?

The automatic calibration/battery test invoked by upscmd (or the UPS front panel button, if any) is for the UPS low battery warning.

The manual calibration ups.conf parameters are necessary (and need to be maintained separately) because Qx-based protocols do not all report the state-of-charge as calculated by the UPS.

I would recommend both forms of calibration after replacing the battery.