[Nut-upsuser] MGE EllipseMAX 1500 shuts down after a few hours

nicolae788 nicolae788 at gmail.com
Mon Dec 3 07:12:49 GMT 2018

I have a T1500 G3 from HP, made also by Eaton. When used with the eaton or
hp software under Windows or Linux and USB cable i have frequent lost
communication issues. In the eaton or hp software the unit has a setting
that shuts down the ups in case of comm lost. Maybe you have to address
this area as it looks that you loose comm. I also never tried the com port.

Hope it helps.

On 3 Dec 2018 4:58 am, "Charles Lepple" <clepple at gmail.com> wrote:

On Dec 2, 2018, at 7:55 PM, raul <raulvior.bcn at gmail.com> wrote:

> I have taken out the batteries and measured them with a multimeter. They
put out 13V (they are rated 12V 9Ah).

What sort of load did you have in parallel with the multimeter? (This is
why Wolfy mentioned the light bulb: if the battery has developed excessive
internal resistance, it will show proper voltages when tested open-circuit,
but will read lower with a load.)

> Putting them back again and disconnecting the UPS from the mains it is
kept on, powering all the connected devices.
> The shutdowns only occur when the UPS is being monitored. Are you sure
it's a battery problem? Do UPS perform further tests when they are being
polled for data? I'll check with newer batteries then. I bought these one
year ago :S

Hard to say what the UPS firmware does internally - the NUT driver just
sends the standard HID queries at the configured polling rates. The reason
why I keep bringing up potential hardware issues is that MGE was very open
with their standards, and the drivers were extensively tested against
hardware from that era.

You sent some debug output earlier - did that include the point at which
the UPS shut down? If not, that would be useful information.