[Nut-upsuser] APC Back UPS and Best Power FERRUPS?

Ben Kamen ben at benkamen.net
Tue Dec 25 16:52:08 GMT 2018

On 12/25/18 3:07 AM, David Melik wrote:
> Lately I got (used) an APC Back UPS Pro 1000 and Back UPS NS 1080. I got an ethernet-to-USB cable from another UPS, but the Pro isn't detected (with usbhid-ups.) I haven't tried the NS yet but it seems to not be on the list though looks just like the Pro.

I can't speak for the rest of your problem...

but just for accuracy, the "ethernet" connector isn't an ethernet connector if it's being used for USB.

That connector is correctly ID'd as 8pin modular.

They're commonly called RJ45, but that too is a misnomer since RJ45 is a telephone specification (RJ=registered jack) that not only calls out the type of connector but also the signals on them.

http://www.literature.molex.com/SQLImages/kelmscott/Molex/PDF_Images/987650-8441.pdf

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Registered_jack

Having a history in Telco, it's one of those things that always made me wince when folks like Cisco would call an ethernet jack an "RJ45" when Cisco is so anal about so many other things in the biz. LoL...

So I thought I would just share for fun...

Cheers and happy holidays!

  -Ben

--
Ben Kamen - O.D.T., S.P.