[Nut-upsuser] NUT not shutting down one of three UPSs (sometimes none of them shut down)

Lee Damon nomad at ee.washington.edu
Wed Dec 25 19:16:10 GMT 2019

I have three APC SmartUPS 5000s. Two of them are AP9617 and one is AP9619.

I have a RS-232 connections from my monitor host to all three. All three
report status and give information.

One of the two AP9617 - ups3-1 - does not shut down when FSD is sent. It
did when I first set this system up a year or two ago but it's stopped
doing so since then. Resetting the management interface does not change
anything.

This is all that shows up in /var/log/messages on the host that is
connected to the UPSs and running the full NUT suite:
Dec 25 08:00:26 [redacted] upsd[9800]: Client upsmon@[redacted] set FSD on
UPS [ups1-1]
Dec 25 08:00:26 [redacted] upsd: Client upsmon@[redacted] set FSD on UPS
[ups1-1]
Dec 25 08:00:26 [redacted] upsd: Client upsmon@[redacted] set FSD on UPS
[ups2-1]
Dec 25 08:00:26 [redacted] upsd: Client upsmon@[redacted] set FSD on UPS
[ups3-1]
Dec 25 08:00:26 [redacted] upsd[9800]: Client upsmon@[redacted] set FSD on
UPS [ups2-1]
Dec 25 08:00:26 [redacted] upsd[9800]: Client upsmon@[redacted] set FSD on
UPS [ups3-1]

The other two do shut down... most of the time. I've now observed two
occasions in the past 6 months where none of them do so.

All three UPSs report the same Application module and APC OS.:

Application Module
Name: sumx
Version: v3.7.2