[Nut-upsuser] Is this an issue?

Charles Lepple clepple at gmail.com
Sun May 12 15:18:02 BST 2019

On May 11, 2019, at 7:17 AM, Leslie Rhorer wrote:

>     I just set up a UPS on a Debian Stretch system for my sister-in-law.  Obviously, I want NUT to properly shut down the unit when the battery gets low.  This means upsmon must be running and healthy.  When I run 'systemctl status nut-monitor`, I see the following in the journal:
>
> nut-monitor.service: Supervising process 778 which is not our child. We'll most likely not notice when it exits
>
> Process 778 is /lib/nut/upsmon
>
>     Is this an issue?  Presumably nut-monitor should know if upsmon dies, shouldn't it?

https://github.com/networkupstools/nut/issues/123

The cheeky answer is that upsmon never dies unexpectedly. (To be fair, the code is a lot simpler than the drivers, or upsd.) But nut-client 2.7.4-5 has a PIDFile directive, so we should have the bases covered.

As I recall, the patches to tell upsmon not to fork (which would avoid that message) made a mess of the options, or were not consistent with other NUT daemons.