[Nut-upsuser] Is this an issue?

Gene Heskett gheskett at shentel.net
Sun May 12 15:34:41 BST 2019

On Sunday 12 May 2019 10:18:02 am Charles Lepple wrote:

> On May 11, 2019, at 7:17 AM, Leslie Rhorer wrote:
> >     I just set up a UPS on a Debian Stretch system for my
> > sister-in-law.  Obviously, I want NUT to properly shut down the unit
> > when the battery gets low.  This means upsmon must be running and
> > healthy.  When I run 'systemctl status nut-monitor`, I see the
> > following in the journal:
> >
> > nut-monitor.service: Supervising process 778 which is not our child.
> > We'll most likely not notice when it exits
> >
> > Process 778 is /lib/nut/upsmon
> >
> >     Is this an issue?  Presumably nut-monitor should know if upsmon
> > dies, shouldn't it?
>
> https://github.com/networkupstools/nut/issues/123
>
> The cheeky answer is that upsmon never dies unexpectedly. (To be fair,
> the code is a lot simpler than the drivers, or upsd.) But nut-client
> 2.7.4-5 has a PIDFile directive, so we should have the bases covered.
>
> As I recall, the patches to tell upsmon not to fork (which would avoid
> that message) made a mess of the options, or were not consistent with
> other NUT daemons.

That would seem to be a committee syndrome, where the committee has not
had a good productive meeting in quite some time. A variation on too
many cooks?

upsmon and all that did seem to work in wheezy, but my present
testing "stretch" based -rt kernel for LCNC wasn't built with the
usbhid-ups module enabled, so I haven't a clue what my ups is doing.
I've left a minor squawk with the LCNC developers list.