[Nut-upsuser] TrippLite AVR550U start on power

Charles Lepple clepple at gmail.com
Tue May 21 00:12:13 BST 2019

[please use reply-all to include the list]

On May 20, 2019, at 5:30 PM, Steven Bixby wrote:

> I have a TrippLite AVR550U that my company uses several individual Linux boxes in one large system, all running Ubuntu 18.04LTS, and all will be using the package version of nut - 2.7.4.    In my scenario, our usage case is for the PCs to all shut down, followed by the individual UPSes, when mains power is removed from the whole system.  (This isn't a typical setup for UPS, but it's what we designed for our needs.)
>
> I have a basic "standalone" setup running OK - I can pull the plug, the PC shuts down, followed by the UPS, and everything is great.  Except...    When reapplying the mains power, the UPS isn't starting the load back up.  I have to force it to start from the panel button, which is a requirement.
>
> Linux isn't my native environment; one of the PCs in our system does run Windows, and using TrippLite's PowerAlert software, I can configure the UPS to auto restart on power -- and it works very well.   So, I *know* there's something that can be sent to the UPS to configure for auto-start.
>
> Alas, in three days of struggles with everything, I still haven't found the answer to this problem.  Hopefully it's just a configuration parameter I've missed.  Or if nothing else, I can adjust the nut source to push the command(s) - if I can figure it out.    I'm about to try to use Wireshark+USBCap on Windows to trace what's going to the TrippLite when this setting is changed -- I've just had very little luck with WS/USBCap in the past, just too much information to sort through.

Does the output from "upsc" look similar to this? http://new.networkupstools.org/ddl/Tripp_Lite/AVR750U.html

I don't think we have a listing of valid NUT instant commands for the model mentioned in that variable dump (or the AVR550U, for that matter), but both variables and commands could help debug this problem. https://networkupstools.org/stable-hcl.html#footnotes

If the delay settings look reasonable, and "upscmd name-of-ups shutdown.return" doesn't do the trick, we will need to do some more digging.

I'm wondering if it is this issue seen on a BCPERS450: https://alioth-lists.debian.net/pipermail/nut-upsuser/2018-January/011020.html

Probably a bit easier to read the thread here: https://www.mail-archive.com/nut-upsuser@lists.alioth.debian.org/msg10430.html

It's been a little while since I used Wireshark to capture USB on Windows, but let me know if there's something I can help with.