[Nut-upsuser] [EXTERNAL] nut-scanner, SNMPv3, APC UPS not chatting

Lee Damon nomad at ee.washington.edu
Tue Apr 28 22:36:17 BST 2020

On a whim I ignored the fact I couldn't get nut-scanner to work and just
edited ups.conf with the appropriate lines then started it up. [ 'please'
is an alias for 'sudo'. We all need a bit of niceness in our lives right
now, right?]

[lvd at chscc-pc-052 ups]$ please upsdrvctl start
Network UPS Tools - UPS driver controller 2.7.4
Network UPS Tools - Generic SNMP UPS driver 0.97 (2.7.4)
Detected SMART-UPS 1400 on host 192.5.37.191 (mib: apcc 1.2)
[nutdev1] Warning: excessive poll failures, limiting error reporting (OID =
.1.3.6.1.4.1.318.1.1.1.9.2.3.1.5.1.1.3)
[nutdev1] Warning: excessive poll failures, limiting error reporting (OID =
.1.3.6.1.4.1.318.1.1.1.9.3.3.1.6.1.1.1)
[lvd at chscc-pc-052 ups]$ please upsd
Network UPS Tools upsd 2.7.4
fopen /var/run/nut/upsd.pid: No such file or directory
listening on 127.0.0.1 port 3493
listening on ::1 port 3493
Connected to UPS [nutdev1]: snmp-ups-nutdev1

...I got the same excessive poll failures warning with SNMPv1...

[lvd at chscc-pc-052 ups]$ upsc nutdev1 at localhost
Init SSL without certificate database
ambient.1.humidity.alarm.high: 60.00
ambient.1.humidity.alarm.low: 30.00
ambient.1.temperature.alarm.high: 40.00
ambient.1.temperature.alarm.low: 10.00

So... it looks like nut-scanner is a problem but nut itself is fine. Next
step for me is to make sure nut can use snmp to shut down the UPS and then
it's off to the races.

I should have said, this was installed on a CentOS 8 box using the RPMs
from EPEL. I just replicated the problem with nut-scanner on CentOS 7 as
well.

nomad