[Nut-upsuser] UPS Monitor Won't Start: invalid directive monitor

Charles Lepple clepple at gmail.com
Mon Nov 22 03:21:03 GMT 2021

On Nov 21, 2021, at 9:28 PM, Jarrod Coombes via Nut-upsuser <nut-upsuser at alioth-lists.debian.net> wrote:

> When I try to start the UPS monitor service I get:
>
> Starting Network UPS Tools - power device monitor and shutdown controller...
> fopen /run/nut/upsmon.pid: No such file or directory
> /etc/nut/upsmon.conf line 86: invalid directive monitor APC-t at localhost 1 admin <8 random letters> master
> /etc/nut/upsmon.conf line 87: invalid directive monitor APC-b at localhost 1 admin <8 random letters> master

                                                 ^^^^^^^ most of NUT is case-sensitive, so this should be "MONITOR".

> The two UPSes are identical, so I created some custom udev rules to create /dev/apc-t and /dev/apc-b and this appears to work. I can run ls /dev/a* and get:
>
> /dev/apc-b  /dev/apc-t  /dev/autofs

If these dev nodes work, it is just coincidence - the usbhid-ups driver cannot open a specific UPS by a /dev node, and the port option is ignored:

https://networkupstools.org/docs/man/usbhid-ups.html#_implementation

In your case, it sounds like you can specify "serial =" for each UPS in ups.conf.