[Nut-upsuser] nut server without nut-client/monitor?

Orion Poplawski orion at nwra.com
Fri Apr 7 02:31:44 BST 2023

On 4/6/23 18:12, Greg Troxel wrote:
> Orion Poplawski via Nut-upsuser <nut-upsuser at alioth-lists.debian.net>
> writes:
>
>> Would it be at all useful to have just the nut "server" components installed
>> and running on a machine without a nut-monitor service running?
>
> It really depends on your goals and your overall plan.
>
> Generally, upsd and drivers just accumulate state and provide it to
> clients, so they don't tend to be truly useful by themselves.
>
> You could run a custom client that logs and reports state against upsd.
>
> You could run upsmon across the network.  However, the shutdown process
> assumes upsmon is local.
>
> However, there's a normal plan, and if what you are doing is even sort of
> normal, it's likely best to do the normal thing, unless you can
> articulate why you want something different.
>
> So:
>
>    0) Read some stuff on the web:
>       https://xyproblem.info/
>       https://dontasktoask.com/ (not quite on point)
>
>    1) Tell us your situation and what you want to accomplish.
>
>    2) Tell us why, after having read the docs, you are heading towards a
>    non-standard setup.

To explain the motivation behind my question - I'm looking at tweaking
the Fedora RPMs and noticed that currently the "nut" server package
requires the "nut-client" package to also be installed (though not the
reverse obviously).  With some effort we can split things up so one
could install just the "nut" package.  But I'm thinking this really
isn't particularly useful or interesting.  But I figured I would ask.

--
Orion Poplawski
he/him/his  - surely the least important thing about me
3380 Mitchell Lane                       orion at nwra.com
Boulder, CO 80301                 https://www.nwra.com/