[Nut-upsuser] nut server without nut-client/monitor?

Jim Klimov jimklimov+nut at gmail.com
Fri Apr 7 09:58:07 BST 2023

Isn't "nut" package there an umbrella/meta-package (in terms of other
distros) to pull together the likely suspects in one command?

Not at a computer now, but I think Debian and OpenIndiana packages were
grouped this way. Likely all packages with daemons would depend on a
"nut-common" package then, to consistently deliver user accounts,
systemd-tmpfiles and other similar shared bits.

Otherwise, taking the question at face value, a standalone NUT server
without a client can make sense on a system connected to an UPS to monitor
and manage it, but not powered by it - so it does not have to shut itself
down. Even then however, verifying the setup without an `upsc` or managing
it without `upsrw`/`upscmd`/... would be cumbersome (though possible with
telnet or other clients), and a "primary"/"master" mode upsmon watching the
UPS as powering 0 PSUs of that box is recommended to send out FSD commands
etc.

Not sure if we have example setups to power off such an UPS (as we would
normally when the primary system is also fed by it and goes down last with
special handling).

Jim