[Nut-upsuser] Vertiv Liebert

Greg Troxel gdt at lexort.com
Sun Apr 9 01:29:12 BST 2023

Bruce Pleat via Nut-upsuser <nut-upsuser at alioth-lists.debian.net>
writes:

> Here's the (far less lengthy) output for the Vertiv Liebert:
>
> device.mfr: Vertiv Co
> device.model: Liebert PSA5
> device.serial: 22223106602D04C
> device.type: ups
> driver.name: usbhid-ups
> driver.parameter.pollfreq: 30
> driver.parameter.pollinterval: 2
> driver.parameter.port: auto
> driver.parameter.productid: 0002
> driver.parameter.synchronous: no
> driver.parameter.vendorid: 10AF
> driver.version: 2.7.4
> driver.version.data: Belkin/Liebert HID 0.17
> driver.version.internal: 0.41
> ups.mfr: Vertiv Co
> ups.model: Liebert PSA5
> ups.productid: 0002
> ups.serial: 22223106602D04C
> ups.status: OB
> ups.vendorid: 10af
>
> As you can see, useful information is missing from the Liebert/Vertiv:
> I'm running it connected to a Raspberry Pi 4B (latest patches applied
> nightly), so I'd prefer to do it from there.
>
> Is there debugging I can do?
> (I'm a NUT rookie and admit to finding the docs overwhelming.)

I'm still sort of new, but:

  Build nut from source and use that (the tip of master from it), rather
  than whatever old code your OS provides.  2.7.4 is ancient and there
  have been a ton of improvements since then.  I am not sure there is
  anybody interested in helping you work on 2.7.4.

  Run the driver with debugging flags to get verbose logging.   upsc
  shows that variables you expect aren't there, and verbose logging will
  give you some insight into what's happening.

  See if other code, perhaps proprietary and even Windows, if you can
  hold  your nose and suspend your free software ethics :-), will report
  anything more.

  Find the docs that show what is available via HID and read the driver
  code to see if anything is missing.

My guess is that your problem is one of:

  something is going wrong and the device just isn't getting read.

  The HID data structures do not line up between what nut expects and
  the device provides

and that upgrading to current nut is reasonably likely to avoid a lot of
issues, even if it doesn't immediately work.  But it might.