[Nut-upsuser] Enhanced driver troubleshooting

gene heskett gheskett at shentel.net
Tue Apr 25 20:14:41 BST 2023

On 4/25/23 13:44, Jim Klimov wrote:
> That's odd - a name like this is not default I think, so either you passed
> it to configure script options, or in-place config mode deduced it from
> packaging remnants?..

I went back in the shells history and looked.

I gave no arguments to ./configure except --enable-inplace-runtime
but found this in the shells history:

checking for in-place replacement default group (better than
'nogroup')... nut
checking for in-place replacement default user (better than 'nobody')...
nutmon
configure: Detected CONFIG_FLAGS of an already deployed NUT
installation, using them for --inplace-runtime configuration (restarting
script)
configure: exec "./configure"  --sysconfdir='/etc/nut'
--with-group='nut' --with-user='nutmon' --enable-inplace-runtime
--disable-inplace-runtime
checking for CONFIG_FLAGS... --sysconfdir=/etc/nut --with-group=nut
--with-user=nutmon

Which I now assume was leftover from the 2.7.4 install since I didn't
nuke /etc/nut, but cp -R'd it to /etc/nut-bak so I had a recovery src.

checking /etc/passwd and /etc/group, neither have a nut-user, just nut
and group has:
nut:x:121:pi, and the builder, me, is "pi" on that machine.

Should I have nuked it?
sudo groupadd nutmon didn't fix, but sudo useradd nutmon did. Now back
to the original message and continue

> Either way, better than running as root or nobody, so useradd (maybe also
> groupadd) are your friends here :)
>
> Ideally, NUT drivers, upsd and upsmon can all run safely as different users
> (upsd and drivers must share a run-time group for socket/pipe files), but
> few people bother that far.

The 2.7.4 install ran for years as me, aka pi on that machine. Wasn't
configured to do anything except simple logging and an occasional upsc
myups to satisfy my curiosity. The 2 minute fail cutoff never really
bothered me because the standby is running in 6 or 7 seconds.
> Jim
>
> On Tue, Apr 25, 2023, 17:36 gene heskett <gheskett at shentel.net> wrote:
>
>> On 4/24/23 19:54, Jim Klimov wrote:
>>> sudo systemd-tmpfiles --create
>> [/usr/lib/tmpfiles.d/nut-common-tmpfiles.conf:3] Unknown user 'nutmon'.
>> [/usr/lib/tmpfiles.d/nut-common-tmpfiles.conf:5] Unknown user 'nutmon'.
>>
>> so how, on a pi running buster, do I create this missing user?
>>
>> Thanks Jim.
>>
>> Cheers, Gene Heskett.
>> --
>> "There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty:
>>    soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order."
>> -Ed Howdershelt (Author, 1940)
>> If we desire respect for the law, we must first make the law respectable.
>>    - Louis D. Brandeis
>> Genes Web page <http://geneslinuxbox.net:6309/>

Cheers, Gene Heskett.
-Ed Howdershelt (Author, 1940)