[Nut-upsuser] UPS driver polling interval

Greg Troxel gdt at lexort.com
Mon Jan 9 18:07:03 GMT 2023

Mike via Nut-upsuser <nut-upsuser at alioth-lists.debian.net> writes:

> I have an APC SmartUPS 3000 RM monitored via NUT.  I was planning to use
> collectd or some such to poll the values (voltage, battery level, etc)
> from UPSC.  I was just curious as to how oftem that data gets updated?
> One thing I'm quite interested in measuring is how the utility voltage
> changes over time, so I'd like to poll upsd as often as I can but there
> seems little point in doing so if the driver is not polling the UPS that
> often!  Does anyone know how often the APC driver polls the UPS for
> things like line voltage?

In general upsc will show

  driver.parameter.pollinterval: 1

that's on bestfortress that I set to 1 instead of 2.

As to whether all params are received every poll interval, good question
and I'd read the source, but just log and plot for a while and it should
be easy to tell.

Utility voltage likely varies over daily timescales, seconds due to big
loads and ms-level due to faults.   The latter is basically not
observable with nut monitoring.   I've been logging this, but I log
once/minute and also once/second log only if the data is interesting
relative to last log.  This is to get prompt monitoring detection of low
(as in 0) line voltage.