[Nut-upsuser] got nut 2.8.1 but despite reinstall, shows 2.7.4

Steffen Grunewald steffen.grunewald at aei.mpg.de
Mon May 22 15:34:48 BST 2023

On Mon, 2023-05-22 at 15:54:51 +0200, Matus UHLAR - fantomas wrote:

> > On 5/22/23 07:13, Greg Troxel wrote:
> > > It is likely that you have built new nut but old nut is still on your
> > > system.   I do a 'sudo make install' to write over the distribution nut
> > > (on NetBSD/pkgsrc, surely not what you are using).
>
> On 22.05.23 09:39, gene heskett wrote:
> > I just found the 2.7.4 was a deb its listed in a synaptic search
> > Should i purge it?
>
> that would make sense, although I recommend installing debian package -
> debian cares about upgrades in such cases.
>
> unless you really really need, use debian packages.

I can second that, but have a big BUT... Debian unstable ("sid") and the
upcoming release ('bookworm", current "testing") both have NUT 2.8.0
(the 7th build of it), see https://packages.qa.debian.org/n/nut.html
for details and download links.

I didn't find any suitable ready-made backport, so I did a "naive" backport
myself - to Buster and Bullseye for amd64 and arm64.
I.e. only added a "2.8.0-7~" entry to debian/changelog and packaged that,
without any further changes. See dpkg-buildpackage(1)
(Why a backport? Because the "real" 2.8.0-7 is supposed to overwrite the
derived package set when upgrading to Bookworm. You're not supposed to
use "sid" or "testing" packages on an older system though.)

HTH,
 Steffen

--
Steffen Grunewald, Cluster Administrator
Max Planck Institute for Gravitational Physics (Albert Einstein Institute)