[Nut-upsuser] got nut 2.8.1 but despite reinstall, shows 2.7.4

gene heskett gheskett at shentel.net
Mon May 22 17:14:11 BST 2023

On 5/22/23 10:50, Steffen Grunewald wrote:

>> On 22.05.23 09:39, gene heskett wrote:
>>> I just found the 2.7.4 was a deb its listed in a synaptic search
>>> Should i purge it?
>>
>> that would make sense, although I recommend installing debian package -
>> debian cares about upgrades in such cases.
>>
>> unless you really really need, use debian packages.
>
> I can second that, but have a big BUT... Debian unstable ("sid") and the
> upcoming release ('bookworm", current "testing") both have NUT 2.8.0
> (the 7th build of it), see https://packages.qa.debian.org/n/nut.html
> for details and download links.
>
> I didn't find any suitable ready-made backport, so I did a "naive" backport
> myself - to Buster and Bullseye for amd64 and arm64.
> I.e. only added a "2.8.0-7~" entry to debian/changelog and packaged that,
> without any further changes. See dpkg-buildpackage(1)
> (Why a backport? Because the "real" 2.8.0-7 is supposed to overwrite the
> derived package set when upgrading to Bookworm. You're not supposed to
> use "sid" or "testing" packages on an older system though.)
>
> HTH,
>   Steffen

unfortunately, I'm stuck on buster cuz linuxcnc-master won't build with
the newer python. till bookworm is out.  So I'm trying to build from the
2.8.1 tarball.  Its almost moot, the ups even with a dead battery will
hold up the 6-7 seconds it take the standby to start.
So now that I've destroyed the 2.7.4, it can wait till bookworm 12-2 or
-3 is ready.  And I try to build a 6.2 or similar preempt-rt kernel for
arm64 & see if its quick enough to run machinery.

Cheers, Gene Heskett.
-Ed Howdershelt (Author, 1940)
  - Louis D. Brandeis