Syncing G-Mail

Mon Aug 29 10:30:41 BST 2011

On Mon, 29 Aug 2011 10:55:55 +0200 (CEST), "Markus Beck Erlach" wrote:

> Now to my problem. After some time I discovered that when deleting a mail
> in mutt and syncing with offlineimap the messages will not be deleted on the GMail
> account. I also tried offlineimap -1 which seems to help some people with GMail accounts
> but for me syncinc Maildir -> GMail doesn't seem to work.

Gmail is a weird beast squeezing a tag-based mail system in an IMAP
infrastructure. If you delete a Mail from a Folder, it will be deleted
in the corresponding Folder on GMail too, but that doesn't mean it will
dissappear from Gmail, it will still be in "All Mail" (and all the other
folders that might also contain this mail).

In order to move over a mail into your "Trash" folder which is the only
real way to delete something in Gmail you need to specify the
"realdelete" option and set it true. Also depending on your localization
you might have to give the
# trashfolder = [Google Mail]/Papierkorb

option to show OfflineImap the location of your Trash folder (we should
be able to detect this on the fly... but we currently don't).