Splitting the lists?

Philippe LeCavalier support at plecavalier.com
Wed Jan 12 17:07:58 GMT 2011

On Wed, 2011-01-12 at 17:06 +0100, Sebastian Spaeth wrote:

> On Mon, 10 Jan 2011 17:17:09 -0500, Philippe LeCavalier <support at plecavalier.com> wrote:
> > Hi.
> >
> > As a user, 90% of what's posted here makes no sense to me and is of
> > little value. Do we need to separate users from devs? If I take my own
> > posts as an example I get about a 50/50 chance of being replied to. I
> > attribute that in part by the abundance of dev posts.
>
> Hi,
>
> while I don't care about whether we split the dev and user lists (it
> certainly makes sense if there is some amount of activity on the dev
> list), I am not sure if your chances of getting a reply are much higher
> if we split.

Yeah. I can certainly see how it might have an adverse effect since the
 dev group could easily not "listen" on the user list after the split.
 And just like any open source project, the best help comes from the
 coders and users working together.

> And this is not because we are an unfriendly lot, but simply because
> perhaps no one knows the answer to your question. I know that I did not.
>
> Most of the coders that have coded that up are not active anymore, and I
> know that I never looked at how the nametrans stuff worked (as I never
> needed it).

I can tell right off the bat you guys aren't an unfriendly bunch. It's
often hard for someone like me ie a user to comprehend that a coder
might not know the answer to such a question. But I can certainly
appreciate that a project that's gone dormant for a while might, like
this one, put us all in somewhat of a learning curve so to
speak.

> Once someone figures it out, it would be very helpful to create a set of
> example configurations on some wiki or website, I would think.

I've been testing all kinds of methods with nametrans but quite frankly
 I still don't really have any kind of grasp on how it works. If I ever
 get the feeling I know any part of this project enough to explain it
  to someone I would definitely be interested in contributing to the
 docs. I can certain atest that as a user the current docs although not
 misleading or incorrect in anyway(from what I can tell), are far from
 complete ;)

Thanks Sebastian.

Phil