GMail speed issues

Thu Sep 29 14:05:06 BST 2011

On Thu, 29 Sep 2011 10:58:36 +0100, Matthew Walster wrote:
> OfflineIMAP has always been "slow" for me on GMail via IMAP. GMail has
> always been "slow" in general, and since I've seen many messages per second
> through other IMAP servers with OfflineIMAP, I've just assumed it was GMail
> slowing everything down.
>
> However, I recently added GMail to OSX's Mail.app, and it seemed to download
> approx. 50 messages per second. OfflineIMAP seems to process approx 1-2
> messages per second.

I don't use Gmail extensively, but I get something like 3-4 msgs per
second (not scientifically measured).

Check out the manual's "Synchronization Performance" section
https://github.com/spaetz/offlineimap/blob/master/docs/MANUAL.rst
for some tips on how to improve performance.

If an app can fetch multiple emails in one command, that might also speed
up sync, although it makes the software architecture (especially failure
handling) more complicated, so that is currently not done in OfflineImap
(which has an amazingly simple architecture).