<DKIM> Python 2 EOL

Nicolas Bock nicolasbock at gmail.com
Thu Jan 9 20:58:01 GMT 2020

On Thu, Jan 09 2020, Nicolas Sebrecht wrote:

> On Thu, Jan 09, 2020 at 10:38:39AM +0100, Robert Wolf wrote:
>
>> I had exactly same idea. Would it be easier just fix some
>> python2-only code to python3 instead of waiting several
>> months (maybe years) for imapfw to be finished and then
>> another few months to test it and fix all bugs? I have
>> read about new imapfw at the project start and I know it
>> could be good project, but just now, offlineimap does
>> everything, what I need and I know, it does it correct
>> without bugs. So I would prefer to keep using offlineimap
>> with python3.
>>
>> Once more, thank you all for maintaining offlineimap.
>
> Supporting python3 in offlineimap is not just a matter of some bug
> fixes.

I can imagine, I didn't expect it to be easy :)

> We've started the developments to introduce python3 support in
> offlineimap years ago.  However, the step to get this done is very high
> and the task is very complicated.  There've been 3 (very serious)
> attempts from experienced developers. I'm not counting some other small
> attempts. All failed.
>
> It appeared it's less complicated to write a new software from scratch.
> That's the reason why I've started imapfw 4 years ago. Since then, I
> keep repeating that we are still open to porting offlineimap on python3.
> Some new small attempts from other contributors failed, too.
>
> As a workaround to the coming transition period I think that advanced
> users could write a script to get offlineimap installed in a python2
> virutal environment, shim (pyenv) and/or in a python2 docker. I would
> very welcome such contributions.

If I am not mistaken then you would need to have Python 2
installed on your system in order to set up a `virtualenv`
or `pyenv` with Python 2. Assuming that we are targeting a
scenario in which this is not the case anymore, those two
paths would not help.

The docker approach is a nice idea :) and as long as there
are containers that come with a Python 2 interpreter it
should work.

Nick