Problems setting up imapfilter and to make it easier for the consumer

Tom dertom at gmail.com
Thu Oct 21 23:07:03 BST 2021

> offlineimap is usually installed by advanced users and we've always made
> this assumption, at least. We didn't feel the hard requirement to
> explain why we need to do this but just share a reminder of the expected
> command to get this done quickly.

How do you know ? (I am sorry, i do marketing and my guess is that this is
just an assumption.)
offlineimap is the perfect tool for "everyone" to backup their Mails. You
made it so
easy todo it! The only hurdle is to first explain it correctly and then to
have the
users know what todo with it. That is not a big deal...

My Usecase is very different from what you expect the usecase to be (i
imagine).
Get the Backup, Zip the Folder, Store it for future use. Done. Mind is at
ease.

And you have done all of that quite well. I tested it today several times,
works for me!

As i said, i do work with linux/bsd quite long, googling around i found an
article from 2011
and have seen that offlineimap is still in development. So i decided to try
it.

So many good tools are hidden behind obscure use cases and abstract
expectations.
Your tool rules them all, because with a little bit of tweaking on the
docs. Everybody can use it.
And that's the goal, isn't it ?

I would be happy to help out and provide you with a proper "getting
started" section and i could
even do some YT Vids to make it all fit.
(having said that, someone needs to help me with spelling correction and
grammar ;-))

Offlineimap is more complex than usual IMAP client because offlineimap
> is not only a client for the IMAP protocol to work on emails; it's a
> synchronizer between two IMAP/maildir repositories. Also, offlineimap is
> not a GUI tool with configuration wizards.

Compared to a solution which you have to buy or lease, offlineimap is by
far the easiest and most
comprehensive solution. If you have no "idea" what so ever, you can handle
the backup quite easily. If you are a
sophisticated user, everything is already provided. Man's, FAQ's whatever
the professional person needs.
Just the point of entry needs some "straightening out".

The Usacase i described is by far the most common one, because if you
"mirror" your account or how
many accounts you have, you have the data, which is more important than
everything else.
Having the data save, backuped and stored, that easily is my most important
goal.

And if i wish to put it back, use further, what else there is, is just
another topic, which also
is not so hard to explain in the docs.

For me the matter is not about having a mirror of my data, but to have a
backup which i
can restore in a fashion like i have the actual mail server.
As i said, i know some things. Others may not...

I know there are other tools, but when i made the backup, i have it in
perfekt order.
I guess something like "Timeshift" ... combined with some rsync magick / or
mercury, you got
your mails backuped in 5-10 mins. Tax Service Friendly.

Who can say no to that ?